How To Build Trust In A Relationship And How To Rebuild Trust Once It’s Broken
Trust is one of the most important aspects of any relationship. It is what allows us to feel safe and comfortable around other people.
Whether it be a relationship, friendship, or business relationship, when trust is broken, it can be very difficult to rebuild.
We will discuss the importance of trust in a relationship and how to rebuild it once it has been damaged.
What Is Trust And Why Is It Important In A Relationship?
Trust is the belief that someone else will behave in a predictable way, based on our past experiences with them. Trust allows us to feel safe and comfortable around others.
It enables us to open up and share our feelings without fear of being judged or ridiculed. When trust is broken, it can be very difficult to rebuild.
The reason for this is that trust is not something that we can see or touch. It is based on our feelings and experiences with the other person.
This means that it can be very difficult to determine whether or not trust has been fully restored.
The Different Types Of Trust That Exist In Relationships
There are 4 different types of trust that can exist in a relationship:
Physical: This is the belief that the other person will not hurt us physically. We feel safe and comfortable being around them and do not have to worry about them harming us.
Fidelity: This is the belief that the other person will be faithful and not cheat on us. We trust them to be loyal and monogamous.
Emotional: This is the belief that the other person will not hurt our feelings. We trust them to be sensitive to our needs and not say or do anything that would cause us pain.
Intellectual: This is the belief that the other person will not deceive us. We feel safe and comfortable being around them and do not have to worry about them misleading us or lying.
20 Ways To Build Trust In A Relationship
1. Be Honest – Honesty is the cornerstone of trust. If we cannot trust the other person to be truthful, then it is very difficult to build any type of trust with them.
2. Be Open – If we want the other person to trust us, we need to be willing to open up and share our feelings with them. This includes both positive and negative emotions. The more open you are with them the more they are likely to reciprocate.
3. Don’t Judge – One of the best ways to build trust is by not judging the other person. We need to be accepting of them for who they are and not criticize them for their mistakes. If they feel judged by you they are much more likely to hide that part of themselves from you.
4. Be Patient – Trust does not develop overnight. It takes time and patience to build a foundation of trust that is strong enough to withstand any type of challenge. There is no set timetable for how long it takes trust to build, it is something that comes organically the closer the two of you grow together.
5. Get Rid Of Baggage – Don’t compare your partner with past relationships. If you were hurt by someone in the past it can be easy to carry that baggage into new relationships. You have to forget about past pain and know that your partner is not that person and it is unfair to look at them as so.
6. Make Time For Each Other – One of the best ways to strengthen trust is by spending time together. This allows you to get to know each other better and develop a deeper connection.
7. Be Supportive – We all need someone to lean on from time to time. When we are there for the other person, they will be more likely to trust us in return. They know we care for them and want them to be happy.
8. Communicate – Communication is key in any relationship. If we want the other person to trust us, we need to be willing to communicate openly and honestly with them.
9. Be Respectful – We need to respect the other person if we want them to trust us. This includes both their feelings and opinions. If they know we respect them, they know we would not do something to hurt them.
10. Don’t Take Things For Granted – When we take things for granted, it shows the other person that we do not appreciate or value them. This can damage the trust that has been built up because they may interpret that as they are not that important.
11. Trust Is Earned, Not Given – Trust is something that needs to be earned. The other person cannot just assume that we will automatically trust them. We need to take the time to get to know them and see if they are worthy of our trust.
12. Admit Mistakes – We are all human and make mistakes. When we admit our mistakes, it shows the other person that we are humble and willing to learn from our errors.
13. Be Supportive – We need to be there for the other person when they need us. This will help them to trust us more and know that we are reliable and dependable.
14. Don’t Keep Secrets – Secrets can make trust nearly impossible. If we want the other person to trust us, we have to be willing to share any secrets that we may have. If your partner finds out you have been keeping a secret, in the back of their mind they will always worry if you are keeping more.
15. Forgive – Forgiveness is such an important part of trust. If we cannot forgive the other person for their mistakes, it will be very difficult for them to be completely open with you. Knowing that you have forgiven them in the past will make it much more likely that they will be truthful with you in the future.
16. Allow Them Freedom – We need to respect the other person’s need for independence. Give them space to do things on their own to let them know that you trust them 100%
17. Be Trustworthy Yourself – The best way to build trust is by being trustworthy yourself. We need to show the other person that we can be trusted before we can expect them to trust us.
18. Have Clear Boundaries – Your partner needs to know what is and is not off-limits. If you do not have clear boundaries, they will be more likely to cross them which can damage the trust that has been built up.
19. Give Them The Benefit Of The Doubt – Just because you may think something about your partner doesn’t mean it is true. If you are constantly jumping to conclusions about things that end up being false, then you will destroy any chance of trust between the two of you.
20. Be Vulnerable – When we are vulnerable with someone, it shows them that we trust them enough to open up and share our innermost thoughts and feelings. This can be a very powerful thing and helps to build a stronger bond of trust.
What Are Some Signs That Trust Has Been Broken In A Relationship?
Usually, there are some indicators that trust may have been broken in the relationship. Some of those are:
- The person becomes more guarded and closed off.
- They may start to withdraw from the relationship or pull away emotionally.
- There may be an increase in fighting or arguments.
- They question who you are texting or what you are doing on social media.
- They may become more suspicious or paranoid.
- They may start to check up on the other person or spy on them.
- They get upset when you want to go out with your friends.
- They think you are constantly flirting with other people
How Can You Repair Trust If It’s Been Damaged?
If trust has been damaged in a relationship, it can be repaired but it will take time and effort from both parties. Here are some things that can help:
Communication – This is the foundation for any relationship. If there is a lack of communication, it will be very difficult to repair trust. Both parties need to be open and honest with each other about their feelings and what is going on in their lives.
Effort – Rebuilding trust takes a lot of work from both parties. The person who has broken the trust needs to put in more of the work than the person who has had their trust violated. They need to show that they are sorry for what they have done and are willing to do whatever it takes to make things right.
Forgiveness – This is another key component in repairing trust. The person who has had their trust violated needs to be able to forgive the other person for what they have done. However, the person that violated that trust must be truly sorry and want to make things right. If this does not happen, then the healing process will not be effective.
The Consequences Of Not Having Trust In A Relationship
The consequences of not having trust in your relationship can be very damaging. It can lead to a lack of communication, resentment, and even divorce.
If you are experiencing any of these issues in your relationship, it is time to take a step back and assess what may be causing the problem. Trust is something that needs to be earned and once it has been broken, it can be very difficult to rebuild.
If you are having trouble repairing trust in your relationship, it may be best to seek out professional help. A therapist can assist you in rebuilding the trust that has been damaged and can help to get your relationship back on track.
Trust is essential for any successful relationship and without it, the relationship will most likely fail. So, if you are having trust issues in your relationship, don’t ignore them, address them head-on. It may be the best thing you ever do for your relationship.